OUR EARLY HISTORY
The first actual sermon preached in Kendall’s Mills (now Fairfield) was in 1827 by the Rev. Ezekiel Robinson on the occasion of the baptism of Miss Louise Emery, the daughter of 2 local prominent citizens. In 1831, the Rev. Joshua Nye, a local preacher and class leader, was invited to preach here by a Universalist named J. Philbrick. He was well-liked by everyone and was invited to preach every 4th Sunday which he did for the next 3 to 4 years.
So successful was this arrangement that, even though the Universalists originally started this pattern of preaching, Rev. Nye was able to establish a Methodist following with the conversion of many prominent citizens in 1832.
During this time Joshua Nye became much admired and beloved and was given the name “Father Nye”. At that time most meetings and revivals were held in the old schoolhouse which was fast becoming inadequate. In 1839, a gift of a tract of land by John and Samuel Kendall led to the planning of building what was to be called the “Union Meeting House”. Construction of the Union Meeting House, located at the corner of Western Avenue and Main Street, was completed in July 1840.
(Excerpted from "History of the Fairfield United Methodist Church" by Keith Stewart 2012)